tracking code

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

HISASHIBURI !

That means 'long time no see' in Japanese. I've been kind of busy because I had an exhibition of my artwork. It's all over now, but to commemorate the occasion I thought I'd post a picture of my Sakuramochi Print!


Granular red bean paste                              Image via Wikipedia
A lot of Western people don't enjoy traditional Japanese sweets, but I really like them. When I first came to Japan back in 2003, I ate more things with sweet red beans than chocolate.
One unusual traditional style sweet I really enjoy is sakura-mochi. It is often served with matcha (green tea) in Spring, but it is available throughout the year. A center of sweet red bean paste is covered with sticky pounded rice, then wrapped in a salty pickled cherry leaf. I have to admit, the first time I ate it I thought it was interesting, but wasn't sure whether I liked it. But now it is one of my favorites. I love the flavor contrast between sweet and salty when you first bite into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment