tracking code

Thursday, December 16, 2010

CHRISTMAS TRIFLE

Layers of a trifle dessert.                 Image via WikipediaIn New Zealand you can't really have Christmas or New Year without trifle. And probably there are many different versions as there are cooks. Basically it's  three layers - a layer of broken chunks of sponge cake, a layer of thick custard and a layer of cream.

Many people pour jelly over the spongecake and let it set before they add the custard. Some people add fruit salad, fresh or canned. Some people sprinkle sherry or some other alcohol over the cake.

My mother used to make trifle with stewed rhubarb or tamarillos (sadly I hardly ever meet anyone who even knows what tamarillos are), and replace the custard with lime flavored instant pudding (That was an inspired combination!)

My favorite way to make trifle is very quick and simple. I smear raspberry jam (possibly thinned with sherry) over the chunks of sponge cake. Sometimes I add sliced banana. I think it's really important to have a nice creamy custard. And after adding the final layer of whipped cream, I decorate it with fruit, either strawberries or passion fruit pulp.

How can such an easy dessert be so incredible delicious?
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. wow! jelly and custard?! i have never tried those together. what are the rhubarb and tamarillos?! I've never tried those but looks really refreshing (not sweet).

    The recipe sounds easy but want to know the real taste. It can go wrong easily without know ing the right taste. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can make it as sweet (or not sweet) as you prefer. I don't like really sweet trifle so I use only about 1 teaspoon of sugar to a cup of custard when I make it, and I never sweeten cream. So all the sweetness comes from the cake and jam (or fruit or jelly.)
    Of course there are many variations of custard and jelly, so there are many variations of trifle...

    ReplyDelete